Metrolina Eye Associates – providing an innovative program to care for your children’s eyes
Myopia (Nearsightedness) – does your child’s prescription seem to continue to get worse?
What is it? Myopia is when distance vision blurs as the eyeball becomes longer.
What causes it? Myopia has been increasing in frequency and severity. Two factors linked to this increase are genetics and lifestyle (near activities and screen time).
- Rates of myopia have doubled in the past 20 years
- It is projected that nearly 50% of people will be nearsighted by 2050.
What are some concerns about increasing/progressing myopia?
- Thicker glasses
- Increased risk of eye disease cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, retinal detachment
What can be done to slow myopia progression?
There are 3 main treatments used for effective myopia control.
- low dose atropine (eye drop) therapy
- specialized soft contact lenses with treatment zones
Interested in getting your child started in slowing their risk of Myopia progression and eye disease?
Call our office @ 803-431-8538.